SportBeep.com
  • Home
  • Football
  • Basketball
  • Soccer
  • Tennis
  • Baseball
  • Athletics
  • More
    • Golf
    • Hockey
    • Combat sports
    • Cricket
    • Figure Skating
    • Racing
    • Skiing
    • Swimming
    • Rugby
No Result
View All Result
SportBeep.com
  • Home
  • Football
  • Basketball
  • Soccer
  • Tennis
  • Baseball
  • Athletics
  • More
Home Athletics

Justice Dept to pay $100 mn to victims of ex-USA Gymnastics team doctor

Vital Lawrence by Vital Lawrence
April 19, 2024
in Athletics
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A
5
25
SHARES
312
VIEWS
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter

US Olympian Aly Raisman is among gymnasts who have filed a claim against the FBI for alleged mishandling of the investigation into sexual abuse by former team doctor Larry Nassar. ©AFP

Washington (AFP) – The Justice Department is to pay $100 million to settle claims against the FBI for mishandling the investigation into sexual abuse by former USA Gymnastics team doctor Larry Nassar, the Wall Street Journal reported Thursday.

 

 

The newspaper said the settlement involves 100 victims of Nassar, who was convicted in late 2017 and early 2018 of sexually assaulting hundreds of athletes and is serving up to 175 years in prison.

Related news

Werro wins Lausanne 800m, well off world record pace

August 21, 2026
381

Koech gets three-year ban, stripped of US 1,500m title

August 10, 2026
682

Lyles not concerned after cramp halts 200m US title bid

July 27, 2026
427

‘Just cramp’ – Lyles pulls up early in 200m US title bid

July 27, 2026
393

Lyles wins US 100m title in world-leading 9.79sec

July 24, 2026
878

Lyles, Richardson ease into 100m semis at US athletics championships

July 23, 2026
434

 

 

Olympic gold medalists Simone Biles, Aly Raisman, McKayla Maroney and other US gymnasts filed a $1 billion claim against the FBI in June 2022 over its failure to adequately respond to reports of sexual abuse by Nassar.

 

 

The Journal said the settlement had been reached several months ago and has been accepted in principle by Nassar’s victims but has not been finalized.

 

 

Citing a report by the Justice Department’s inspector general, the newspaper said there were multiple failings in the FBI’s handling of complaints about Nassar made by USA Gymnastics to the FBI’s Indianapolis field office in July 2015.

 

 

The failure to act on the complaints allowed Nassar to continue sexually assaulting dozens of victims before his 2016 arrest.

 

 

Nassar worked as a sports medicine doctor at USA Gymnastics and Michigan State University for more than two decades.

 

 

FBI director Christopher Wray acknowledged the bureau’s failures during testimony before a Senate committee in September 2021, saying they were “inexcusable.”

 

 

Addressing Nassar’s victims, Wray said: “I’m especially sorry that there were people at the FBI who had their own chance to stop this monster back in 2015 and failed.”

 

 

Nassar’s victims reached a $380 million settlement with USA Gymnastics in 2021, one of the largest ever recorded for victims of sex abuse.

 

 

USA Gymnastics filed for bankruptcy in 2018 after a tidal wave of allegations against Nassar swamped the organization.

 

 

Michigan State University reached a $500 million settlement with hundreds of Nassar’s victims in 2018.

 

 

Nassar was stabbed by another inmate in July of last year at the prison in Florida where he is serving his sentence but recovered from his wounds.

 

© 2024 AFP

Tags: FBILarry Nassarsettlementsexual abuseUSA Gymnastics
Share10Tweet6Share
Vital Lawrence

Vital Lawrence

Subscribe
Notify of
guest
guest
5 Comments
Newest
Oldest Most Voted

Follow Us

Popular News

  • A-Rod ups T-Wolves stake in $4.5bn ownership change

    31 shares
    Share 12 Tweet 8
  • Rybakina, Andreeva race into Cincinnati third round

    61 shares
    Share 24 Tweet 15
  • American Kate Douglass reclaims 50m freestyle world record

    33 shares
    Share 13 Tweet 8
  • Injured Rune withdraws from US Open

    24 shares
    Share 10 Tweet 6
  • Beleaguered FIFA chief Infantino rids himself of critic Lamour

    81 shares
    Share 32 Tweet 20
SportBeep.com

Welcome to SportBeep, your ultimate destination for all things sports! If you're passionate about the NFL, NBA, MLS, NHL, MLB, or any other sport, you're in the right place. Here, you'll find the latest news, in-depth analyses, and commentary on the most important sporting events and personalities from around the world.

Pages

  • Home
  • About Us
  • Privacy Policy
  • Contact Us

News

  • Football
  • Basketball
  • Baseball
  • Soccer
  • Hockey
  • Tennis
  • Golf

Network

  • Coolinarco.com
  • CasualSelf.com
  • Fit.CasualSelf.com
  • Sport.CasualSelf.com
  • MachinaSphere.com
  • EconomyLens.com
  • MagnifyPost.com
  • TodayAiNews.com
  • VideosArena.com
Your Privacy Choices

© 2026 SportBeep ~ Top Sports News from around the world!

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Football
  • Basketball
  • Soccer
  • Tennis
  • Baseball
  • Athletics
  • More
    • Golf
    • Hockey
    • Combat sports
    • Cricket
    • Figure Skating
    • Racing
    • Skiing
    • Swimming
    • Rugby

© 2024 SportBeep.com - Best Sport News