SportBeep.com
  • Home
  • Football
  • Basketball
  • Soccer
  • Tennis
  • Baseball
  • Athletics
  • More
    • Golf
    • Hockey
    • Combat sports
    • Cricket
    • Figure Skating
    • Racing
    • Skiing
    • Swimming
    • Rugby
No Result
View All Result
SportBeep.com
  • Home
  • Football
  • Basketball
  • Soccer
  • Tennis
  • Baseball
  • Athletics
  • More
Home Tennis

Sinner ‘honest to core’, says coach Cahill after dope test controversy

Kenton Alexander by Kenton Alexander
August 24, 2024
in Tennis
Reading Time: 3 mins read
A A
0
163
SHARES
2k
VIEWS
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter

Coach Darren Cahill watches Jannik Sinner play Alexander Zverev during the semifinals of the Cincinnati Open in Mason, Ohio on Sunday. ©AFP

New York (AFP) – World number one Jannik Sinner is “honest to the core” and is an “innocent victim,” his coach Darren Cahill said after the Italian was cleared of any wrongdoing despite twice testing positive for a banned substance. The International Tennis Integrity Agency (ITIA) said on Tuesday that Sinner had provided an in-competition sample at the Indian Wells Masters on March 10, which contained the presence of clostebol at low levels. A further sample, conducted eight days later out of competition, also tested positive for low levels of the same metabolite.

Sinner had explained that the substance had originated from a spray, containing clostebol, that had been used by a member of his staff to treat a cut finger. The ITIA accepted the explanation and stated that the “presence of the substance was not intentional.” Cahill told ESPN in a television interview that the staff member in question was physio Giacomo Naldi, who had been provided the over-the-counter spray from physical trainer Umberto Ferrara.

Related news

Svitolina edges Gauff to set up Pegula final in Dubai

February 20, 2026
261

Venus Williams accepts Indian Wells wild card

February 20, 2026
251

Venus Williams accepts Indian Wells wild card

February 20, 2026
299

Shelton battles back from brink to beat Fritz, take Dallas crown

February 15, 2026
474

Top seed Fritz to face Shelton for ATP Dallas Open title

February 15, 2026
306

Top seed Fritz makes ATP Dallas semis with fantastic finish

February 13, 2026
255

The Australian coach said it was not clear exactly how Naldi had provided the contamination to Sinner but suggested “working on the feet, a massage or whatever it may be.” Cahill emphasized that there was no question at all of Sinner seeking to gain an advantage through the use of a banned substance. “We’re not looking for any sorrow or anything because we’re quite thankful that there is no ban attached. But I just want to stress that he’s a great kid. He’s incredibly professional,” he said.

“He’s maybe the most professional young man that I’ve ever had the chance to work with. He would never, ever intentionally do anything. He’s just in a situation which is incredibly unfortunate. And the truth came out, exactly what happened. There’s no fault, no negligence,” he said. “I feel really bad for him that he has to go through this as well because he doesn’t deserve this,” he added.

Cahill noted that Sinner has struggled since the case emerged in March. “He’s been the one who’s suffered through this the most and he’s the one that’s also had to get out there and play tennis and play tennis tournaments,” he explained. “So it’s been really, really difficult for him and I take my hat off to him that he’s been able to get some of the results that he has, but there have been days where you can see that he’s physically and emotionally been challenged on the court.”

Some players, such as Australian Nick Kyrgios, have questioned the ITIA’s decision to accept the story, but Cahill said he was not worried about doubters. “That’s ok, I think everyone is entitled to their opinion. I know this is a hugely sensitive issue for everybody, all coaches, all players, all fans,” he stated.

“I will just stress again that Jannik is the most professional young man that I’ve had a chance to work with. He’s a good man who’s been brought up by wonderful parents. He’s honest to the core; you can see that in the way he plays. He’s in a situation where he’s the innocent victim of a situation,” he added.

Cahill expressed confidence that he did not expect the case to have a long-lasting impact on the public perception of the 23-year-old, who will be in the spotlight next week at the US Open in New York. “I think over time this won’t affect his legacy in the game. I think people will understand it when you read through the entire statement and what he went through and how they determined him to have no fault or no negligence,” he concluded.

© 2024 AFP

Tags: ATPIndian Wells MastersJannik Sinner
Share65Tweet41Share
Kenton Alexander

Kenton Alexander

Kenton, a seasoned 60-year-old sport journalist with a lifelong passion for baseball. Hailing from the heartland of America, Kanton's love affair with the game began in his childhood, where he spent countless hours honing his skills on the diamond. As he grew older, David's fascination with sports only deepened, leading him to become an official for baseball matches, where he gained a unique perspective on the intricacies of the sport. Armed with a wealth of knowledge and experience, Kenton transitioned seamlessly into sports journalism, where he has become known for his insightful analysis and captivating storytelling. From the crack of the bat to the roar of the crowd, Kenton's journey from a baseball-loving kid to a respected journalist is a testament to his enduring passion for the game.

Subscribe
Notify of
guest
guest
0 Comments
Newest
Oldest Most Voted
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments

Follow Us

Popular News

  • Miami Dolphins release injured star receiver Hill

    89 shares
    Share 36 Tweet 22
  • US teen Lutkenhaus breaks world junior indoor 800m record

    63 shares
    Share 25 Tweet 16
  • Bhatia grabs two-stroke lead at breezy Pebble Beach

    48 shares
    Share 19 Tweet 12
  • Medal-winner Sato says Malinin paid for ‘toxic schedule’

    59 shares
    Share 24 Tweet 15
  • NFL star Rashee Rice accused of assaulting pregnant girlfriend

    124 shares
    Share 50 Tweet 31
SportBeep.com

Welcome to SportBeep, your ultimate destination for all things sports! If you're passionate about the NFL, NBA, MLS, NHL, MLB, or any other sport, you're in the right place. Here, you'll find the latest news, in-depth analyses, and commentary on the most important sporting events and personalities from around the world.

Pages

  • Home
  • About Us
  • Privacy Policy
  • Contact Us

News

  • Football
  • Basketball
  • Baseball
  • Soccer
  • Hockey
  • Tennis
  • Golf

Network

  • Coolinarco.com
  • CasualSelf.com
  • Fit.CasualSelf.com
  • Sport.CasualSelf.com
  • MachinaSphere.com
  • EconomyLens.com
  • MagnifyPost.com
  • TodayAiNews.com
  • VideosArena.com

© 2024 SportBeep ~ Top Sports News from around the world!

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Football
  • Basketball
  • Soccer
  • Tennis
  • Baseball
  • Athletics
  • More
    • Golf
    • Hockey
    • Combat sports
    • Cricket
    • Figure Skating
    • Racing
    • Skiing
    • Swimming
    • Rugby

© 2024 SportBeep.com - Best Sport News