SportBeep.com
  • Home
  • Football
  • Basketball
  • Soccer
  • Tennis
  • Baseball
  • Athletics
  • More
    • Golf
    • Hockey
    • Combat sports
    • Cricket
    • Figure Skating
    • Racing
    • Skiing
    • Swimming
    • Rugby
No Result
View All Result
SportBeep.com
  • Home
  • Football
  • Basketball
  • Soccer
  • Tennis
  • Baseball
  • Athletics
  • More
Home Soccer

Beleaguered FIFA chief Infantino rids himself of critic Lamour

Kenton Alexander by Kenton Alexander
August 18, 2026
in Soccer
Reading Time: 3 mins read
A A
0
19
SHARES
237
VIEWS
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter

FIFA president Gianni Infantino has rid himself of critic Kevin Lamour . ©AFP

Paris (France) (AFP) – Embattled FIFA president Gianni Infantino will hope the departure of Kevin Lamour does not spark damaging revelations from the former chief operating officer of world football’s governing body. Frenchman Lamour’s position — which he had been in for less than two years — had become untenable after he broke ranks with senior FIFA directors last month and issued a scathing statement criticising Infantino over his botched plan to bring private investment into FIFA competitions, including World Cups. Lamour had refused to sign off on the deal when — according to the New York Times — five FIFA directors had been briefed on the plan on the eve of last month’s World Cup final. Lamour described the proposal as “the project of one person”.

It was noticeable after his statement he had not been present when other senior FIFA directors attended an emergency meeting in Morocco a fortnight ago and declared their “full support” for Infantino. Lamour’s criticism dealt a significant blow to 56-year-old Infantino. Another damaging resignation was that of Infantino’s special advisor Carlos Cordeiro, who like the FIFA chief is close to US President Donald Trump. “It is a bad deal for FIFA’s member associations, a bad deal for football, and a bad deal for the long-term future of the game,” wrote Cordeiro, a former investment banker. Two other FIFA executives had also welcomed the ditching of the plan — it had been launched on Tuesday, July 28, and was scrapped by Saturday.

Related news

Lamour leaves key FIFA position after criticising Infantino

August 17, 2026
311

Messi sees penalty saved as Nashville routs Inter Miami in MLS

August 15, 2026
519

Liverpool deal with Bezos consortium raises stakes in US battle for Premier League power

August 15, 2026
625

Premier League club Liverpool sell minority stake to Jeff Bezos consortium

August 14, 2026
404

Messi returns after father’s death but Miami knocked out of Leagues Cup

August 12, 2026
506

Grieving Messi available for Miami in Leagues Cup clash

August 12, 2026
583

“Individuals, unstable moments and unfortunate episodes come and go,” FIFA secretary general Mattias Grafstrom said in an email he sent to staff. “The institution, its mission and its responsibility towards world football continue.” Arsene Wenger, chief of global football development, said it was “absolutely necessary” to scrap it. Both Wenger and Grafstrom claimed ignorance over the private investment plan but nevertheless feature on a list of people instructed not to destroy “relevant materials” pertaining to it in a letter sent by the US lawyer of European football body UEFA, which has raised strong objections to Infantino remaining in his post.

Infantino’s move has provoked deep divisions among the sport’s confederations and within them too. The presidents of UEFA — who described the plan as a “shabby, back room, opaque deal” — and the Asian Football Confederation (AFC) and North, Central America and the Caribbean’s ruling body CONCACAF presidents had issued a no-holds barred joint statement last week. CONCACAF chief Victor Montagliani is widely seen as the likeliest challenger to Infantino and his bid for a fourth and final term in an election in Rabat next March.

“Leadership in football is not a possession. It is not about holding — or demanding — power to be held,” they wrote. “When an individual places himself above the collective that entrusted him with authority, that duty has been abandoned.” However, while Europe appears united in wanting Infantino gone, Mexico — one of the co-hosts of this year’s World Cup — broke ranks with CONCACAF. Mexico did not openly attack CONCACAF’s stance but in Asia, 2022 World Cup hosts Qatar have blasted the AFC for failing to consult them before issuing the joint statement. Qatar Football Association president Hamad bin Khalifa al-Thani demanded an explanation as to why no consultation had taken place and on what basis the AFC could speak on behalf of its 47 member associations, including Qatar.

Qatar is not alone among AFC members in issuing support for Infantino. Kuwait, Lebanon, Sri Lanka and the Philippines have also publicly backed the Swiss lawyer. AFC president Sheikh Salman bin Ebrahim al-Khalifa — who finished runner-up to Infantino in the presidential election in 2016 — hit back to deny he exceeded his authority. “I categorically reject any suggestion that my participation in the joint statement exceeded my authority or that the AFC erred in participating in it,” the Bahraini said in a letter seen by AFP on Tuesday.

On the flip side, the African Football Confederation (CAF) and South American governing body CONMEBOL back Infantino. The Oceania Football Confederation (OFC) have also baulked at calling for Infantino to go but one of their members, New Zealand, rebelled and withdrew their support for his re-election.

© 2024 AFP

Tags: FIFAUEFAWorld Cup
Share8Tweet5Share
Kenton Alexander

Kenton Alexander

Kenton, a seasoned 60-year-old sport journalist with a lifelong passion for baseball. Hailing from the heartland of America, Kanton's love affair with the game began in his childhood, where he spent countless hours honing his skills on the diamond. As he grew older, David's fascination with sports only deepened, leading him to become an official for baseball matches, where he gained a unique perspective on the intricacies of the sport. Armed with a wealth of knowledge and experience, Kenton transitioned seamlessly into sports journalism, where he has become known for his insightful analysis and captivating storytelling. From the crack of the bat to the roar of the crowd, Kenton's journey from a baseball-loving kid to a respected journalist is a testament to his enduring passion for the game.

Subscribe
Notify of
guest
guest
0 Comments
Newest
Oldest Most Voted

Follow Us

Popular News

  • Rybakina, Andreeva race into Cincinnati third round

    49 shares
    Share 20 Tweet 12
  • American Kate Douglass reclaims 50m freestyle world record

    31 shares
    Share 12 Tweet 8
  • Rybakina slogs through double rain delays in Cincinnati win

    22 shares
    Share 9 Tweet 6
  • Former Cincinnati contenders suffer contrasting first-round fates

    41 shares
    Share 16 Tweet 10
  • NBA triple-double king Westbrook to retire after 18 seasons

    52 shares
    Share 21 Tweet 13
SportBeep.com

Welcome to SportBeep, your ultimate destination for all things sports! If you're passionate about the NFL, NBA, MLS, NHL, MLB, or any other sport, you're in the right place. Here, you'll find the latest news, in-depth analyses, and commentary on the most important sporting events and personalities from around the world.

Pages

  • Home
  • About Us
  • Privacy Policy
  • Contact Us

News

  • Football
  • Basketball
  • Baseball
  • Soccer
  • Hockey
  • Tennis
  • Golf

Network

  • Coolinarco.com
  • CasualSelf.com
  • Fit.CasualSelf.com
  • Sport.CasualSelf.com
  • MachinaSphere.com
  • EconomyLens.com
  • MagnifyPost.com
  • TodayAiNews.com
  • VideosArena.com
Your Privacy Choices

© 2026 SportBeep ~ Top Sports News from around the world!

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Football
  • Basketball
  • Soccer
  • Tennis
  • Baseball
  • Athletics
  • More
    • Golf
    • Hockey
    • Combat sports
    • Cricket
    • Figure Skating
    • Racing
    • Skiing
    • Swimming
    • Rugby

© 2024 SportBeep.com - Best Sport News