SportBeep.com
  • Home
  • Football
  • Basketball
  • Soccer
  • Tennis
  • Baseball
  • Athletics
  • More
    • Golf
    • Hockey
    • Combat sports
    • Cricket
    • Figure Skating
    • Racing
    • Skiing
    • Swimming
    • Rugby
No Result
View All Result
SportBeep.com
  • Home
  • Football
  • Basketball
  • Soccer
  • Tennis
  • Baseball
  • Athletics
  • More
Home Soccer

Bielsa fury over brawl sanctions threat, blames Copa organisers

Michael Taylor by Michael Taylor
July 12, 2024
in Soccer
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A
5
242
SHARES
3k
VIEWS
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter

Marcelo Bielsa has defended Uruguay players who clashed with Colombian fans following the team's Copa America semi-final defeat. ©AFP

Charlotte (AFP) – Uruguay coach Marcelo Bielsa lashed out at Copa America organisers on Friday, saying they were to blame for the brawl between his players and Colombian fans following their semi-final exit.

Speaking ahead of Saturday’s third-place playoff against Canada, Bielsa reacted angrily to the disciplinary proceedings opened by CONMEBOL following the violence which erupted after Uruguay’s 1-0 defeat to Colombia on Wednesday. Several Uruguay players, including Liverpool star Darwin Nunez, jumped into the stands and were seen fighting with Colombian fans after the game.

Related news

Neymar back in Brazil squad for fourth World Cup

May 21, 2026
681

Los Angeles World Cup workers vow strike over ICE guarantees

May 18, 2026
713

Iran’s World Cup football team leaves for Turkey: media

May 18, 2026
1k

Iran have ‘constructive’ meeting with FIFA over World Cup preparations

May 18, 2026
471

Messi shines as Inter Miami finally win at new stadium

May 17, 2026
497

Pretty in pink: Dallas World Cup venue chasing perfect pitch

May 17, 2026
360

Uruguay’s players have said they were defending family members being attacked by Colombian supporters at the Bank of America Stadium. As many as a dozen Uruguayan players are reportedly under investigation by CONMEBOL following the incident — a fact that has incensed veteran coach Bielsa.

“The players reacted like any human being would have done,” Bielsa said at a press conference on Friday. “If you see your wife, mother, sister or baby being attacked, and no one is helping, what are they supposed to do? And they are going to punish the people who came to defend them?”

Colombian and Uruguayan fans were not separated at all in Wednesday’s game. The violence flared on the final whistle after Uruguay’s defeat and continued for several minutes until police finally arrived.

Bielsa said blame for the incident should be pinned on tournament organisers for failing to ensure the safety of players’ families. “There were mothers with babies in their arms, wives and sisters being attacked. The protection of the spectator has nothing to do with the football team or the federation. You know who is responsible for that,” he said. “No one wanted to see a violent reaction. But the first thing to look at is what provoked the reaction.”

Any sanctions should not be for the footballers, but for those who forced them to act the way they did. They had no choice.

Bielsa was also critical of other organisational aspects of the Copa America, which was held in the United States and expanded to 16 teams this year to include CONCACAF nations. The Uruguay coach said playing surfaces, many of which were comprised of grass overlaid on artificial turf, had been sub-standard. Bielsa added that training pitches provided during the tournament “were a disaster.”

© 2024 AFP

Tags: colombian fansCopa Americadisciplinary proceedingsuruguay
Share97Tweet61Share
Michael Taylor

Michael Taylor

Sport journalist known for his sharp wit and insightful commentary. Renowned for his passionate storytelling and deep understanding of the games he covers, Michael continues to captivate audiences with his engaging style.

Subscribe
Notify of
guest
guest
5 Comments
Newest
Oldest Most Voted
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments

Follow Us

Popular News

  • Smalley tees off with PGA lead and stars in hot pursuit

    50 shares
    Share 20 Tweet 13
  • McIlroy, back in PGA hunt, blames bad setup for lead logjam

    32 shares
    Share 13 Tweet 8
  • Sinner, Djokovic kept apart in French Open draw

    52 shares
    Share 21 Tweet 13
  • Pretty in pink: Dallas World Cup venue chasing perfect pitch

    29 shares
    Share 12 Tweet 7
  • Pistons pound Cavaliers to stay alive

    35 shares
    Share 14 Tweet 9
SportBeep.com

Welcome to SportBeep, your ultimate destination for all things sports! If you're passionate about the NFL, NBA, MLS, NHL, MLB, or any other sport, you're in the right place. Here, you'll find the latest news, in-depth analyses, and commentary on the most important sporting events and personalities from around the world.

Pages

  • Home
  • About Us
  • Privacy Policy
  • Contact Us

News

  • Football
  • Basketball
  • Baseball
  • Soccer
  • Hockey
  • Tennis
  • Golf

Network

  • Coolinarco.com
  • CasualSelf.com
  • Fit.CasualSelf.com
  • Sport.CasualSelf.com
  • MachinaSphere.com
  • EconomyLens.com
  • MagnifyPost.com
  • TodayAiNews.com
  • VideosArena.com

© 2024 SportBeep ~ Top Sports News from around the world!

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Football
  • Basketball
  • Soccer
  • Tennis
  • Baseball
  • Athletics
  • More
    • Golf
    • Hockey
    • Combat sports
    • Cricket
    • Figure Skating
    • Racing
    • Skiing
    • Swimming
    • Rugby

© 2024 SportBeep.com - Best Sport News