SportBeep.com
  • Home
  • Football
  • Basketball
  • Soccer
  • Tennis
  • Baseball
  • Athletics
  • More
    • Golf
    • Hockey
    • Combat sports
    • Cricket
    • Figure Skating
    • Racing
    • Skiing
    • Swimming
    • Rugby
No Result
View All Result
SportBeep.com
  • Home
  • Football
  • Basketball
  • Soccer
  • Tennis
  • Baseball
  • Athletics
  • More
Home Soccer

Ghana protests to Canada after player Partey is denied visa for World Cup

Michael Taylor by Michael Taylor
June 14, 2026
in Soccer
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A
3
33
SHARES
414
VIEWS
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter

Ghana's player Thomas Partey, who is facing trial in Britain on rape charges, has been denied a visa to enter Canada to play in the World Cup . ©AFP

Accra (AFP) – Ghana said Saturday it has formally lodged a protest over Canada’s refusal to issue a visa for the World Cup to player Thomas Partey, who is facing trial in Britain on rape charges. In a statement posted on social media by the Foreign Minister Sam Okudzeto Ablakwa, Ghana called Canada’s decision “high-handed and extremely unfair,” referring to Partey as “a key member of Ghana’s senior national team.”

“Ghana has dispatched an official note of protest” to Canada, the statement indicated, adding that the “note also requested that Canada reviews its unfortunate decision.” The Villarreal midfielder, who previously played for Arsenal, has pleaded not guilty to seven charges of rape and one count of sexual assault relating to allegations by four different women between 2020 and 2022. A trial has been set for next year, allowing the 32-year-old to represent Ghana at the World Cup, but he will not be involved in Wednesday’s match in Toronto.

Related news

Lamour leaves key FIFA position after criticising Infantino

August 17, 2026
307

Messi sees penalty saved as Nashville routs Inter Miami in MLS

August 15, 2026
519

Liverpool deal with Bezos consortium raises stakes in US battle for Premier League power

August 15, 2026
625

Premier League club Liverpool sell minority stake to Jeff Bezos consortium

August 14, 2026
404

Messi returns after father’s death but Miami knocked out of Leagues Cup

August 12, 2026
506

Grieving Messi available for Miami in Leagues Cup clash

August 12, 2026
583

“While respecting Canada’s sovereign right to enforce its immigration laws, Ghana considers that reliance on unproven charges in the absence of a judicial determination raises fundamental questions of fairness and proportionality,” said the statement. FIFA has confirmed that Partey would not be able to travel from Ghana’s team base camp in Boston to Canada for their opening match against Panama on June 17. The 32-year-old will be eligible to play in Ghana’s subsequent Group L games against England and Croatia, both taking place in the United States.

However, the African team may return to Canada if they reach the knockout stages. Ghana vowed to explore all diplomatic and legal “remedies” under Canadian and international law to ensure full “fair consideration” of the case, as it urged Ottawa to “rescind its decision in the interest of fairness and cardinal principles of common law.”

Canadian immigration said they were not able to provide details on individual cases, adding that the safety of Canadian citizens was its priority. Canada’s immigration service noted that its officials apply rules “consistently and without exception, regardless of nationality, profile, or role in the tournament.” US authorities stated they were aware of the pending court case but mentioned, “he has not been convicted of a crime and was admitted to the United States after being issued a visa.”

© 2024 AFP

Tags: 2026 World CupFIFAghana
Share13Tweet8Share
Michael Taylor

Michael Taylor

Sport journalist known for his sharp wit and insightful commentary. Renowned for his passionate storytelling and deep understanding of the games he covers, Michael continues to captivate audiences with his engaging style.

Subscribe
Notify of
guest
guest
3 Comments
Newest
Oldest Most Voted

Follow Us

Popular News

  • Rybakina, Andreeva race into Cincinnati third round

    49 shares
    Share 20 Tweet 12
  • American Kate Douglass reclaims 50m freestyle world record

    31 shares
    Share 12 Tweet 8
  • Rybakina slogs through double rain delays in Cincinnati win

    21 shares
    Share 8 Tweet 5
  • Former Cincinnati contenders suffer contrasting first-round fates

    41 shares
    Share 16 Tweet 10
  • NBA triple-double king Westbrook to retire after 18 seasons

    52 shares
    Share 21 Tweet 13
SportBeep.com

Welcome to SportBeep, your ultimate destination for all things sports! If you're passionate about the NFL, NBA, MLS, NHL, MLB, or any other sport, you're in the right place. Here, you'll find the latest news, in-depth analyses, and commentary on the most important sporting events and personalities from around the world.

Pages

  • Home
  • About Us
  • Privacy Policy
  • Contact Us

News

  • Football
  • Basketball
  • Baseball
  • Soccer
  • Hockey
  • Tennis
  • Golf

Network

  • Coolinarco.com
  • CasualSelf.com
  • Fit.CasualSelf.com
  • Sport.CasualSelf.com
  • MachinaSphere.com
  • EconomyLens.com
  • MagnifyPost.com
  • TodayAiNews.com
  • VideosArena.com
Your Privacy Choices

© 2026 SportBeep ~ Top Sports News from around the world!

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Football
  • Basketball
  • Soccer
  • Tennis
  • Baseball
  • Athletics
  • More
    • Golf
    • Hockey
    • Combat sports
    • Cricket
    • Figure Skating
    • Racing
    • Skiing
    • Swimming
    • Rugby

© 2024 SportBeep.com - Best Sport News