SportBeep.com
  • Home
  • Football
  • Basketball
  • Soccer
  • Tennis
  • Baseball
  • Athletics
  • More
    • Golf
    • Hockey
    • Combat sports
    • Cricket
    • Figure Skating
    • Racing
    • Skiing
    • Swimming
    • Rugby
No Result
View All Result
SportBeep.com
  • Home
  • Football
  • Basketball
  • Soccer
  • Tennis
  • Baseball
  • Athletics
  • More
Home Baseball

Teenager seeking to halt Ohtani 50-50 ball auction

Michael Taylor by Michael Taylor
September 26, 2024
in Baseball
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A
0
51
SHARES
635
VIEWS
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter

Shohei Ohtani blasts his 50th home run of the season against Miami last week. ©AFP

Miami (AFP) – A Florida teenager has filed a lawsuit seeking to stop Friday’s auction of Shohei Ohtani’s 50-50 home run ball, claiming he is the rightful owner of the prized baseball collectible which is tipped to fetch millions when it goes under the hammer. Max Matus, 18, says in a lawsuit that he successfully snaffled the ball after Ohtani blasted it into the stands at loanDepot Park last week to become the first player in history to rack up 50 home runs and 50 stolen bases in the same season.

However, Matus alleges in the lawsuit that the ball was wrestled off him by two fellow spectators, Chris Belanski and Kelvin Ramirez, who have put the collectible up for sale through auction house Goldin. Matus’s lawsuit, filed in Florida’s 11th Judicial Circuit Court, seeks an injunction against Goldin to stop Friday’s auction of the ball from going ahead.

Related news

Healthy Ohtani has Cy Young Award in sights

February 13, 2026
405

‘Beer Man’ Castellanos released by MLB Phillies

February 13, 2026
440

MLB pitching great Verlander returning to Tigers

February 11, 2026
377

MLB pitching great Verlander returning to Tigers

February 10, 2026
241

Ex-MLB outfielder Puig guilty in federal sports betting case

February 6, 2026
459

Dodgers manager Roberts says Ohtani won’t pitch in Classic

February 1, 2026
541

Goldin, however, said Thursday they have no plans to call off the auction after reviewing the lawsuit and studying footage of the scramble for the ball. “We are aware of the case that has been filed,” Goldin said in a statement quoted by US media. “Having reviewed the allegations and images included in the lawsuit, and publicly available video from the game, Goldin plans to go live with the auction of the Ohtani 50/50 ball.”

Bidding for the ball is due to start Friday at an opening price of $500,000, although buyers have a chance to purchase the ball outright for $4.5 million between September 27 and October 9, according to the listing on the Goldin website. If bidding reaches $3 million before October 9, Goldin will remove the option to purchase it privately, and interested parties must bid for the baseball. The record price for a baseball is $3.05 million paid for Mark McGwire’s 70th home run ball of 1998.

“This offered baseball is truly a one-of-a-kind specimen, a crowning piece for any game-used memorabilia collection,” the listing says. Ohtani’s 50th home run of the season came during a spectacular offensive outing for the Los Angeles Dodgers against the Marlins in Miami on September 19. He had six hits in six at bats, including two doubles for a total of five extra-base hits. He drove in 10 runs, scored four and stole two bases to help the Dodgers clinch a post-season berth that will mark Ohtani’s first trip to the MLB playoffs.

© 2024 AFP

Tags: auctionMLBShohei Ohtani
Share20Tweet13Share
Michael Taylor

Michael Taylor

Sport journalist known for his sharp wit and insightful commentary. Renowned for his passionate storytelling and deep understanding of the games he covers, Michael continues to captivate audiences with his engaging style.

Subscribe
Notify of
guest
guest
0 Comments
Newest
Oldest Most Voted
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments

Follow Us

Popular News

  • Malinin highlights mental health as Shaidorov wears panda suit at Olympic skating gala

    17 shares
    Share 7 Tweet 4
  • Timberwolves ace Edwards sends Mavericks to worst slump in decades

    62 shares
    Share 25 Tweet 16
  • Miami Dolphins release injured star receiver Hill

    94 shares
    Share 38 Tweet 24
  • US teen Lutkenhaus breaks world junior indoor 800m record

    64 shares
    Share 26 Tweet 16
  • Bhatia grabs two-stroke lead at breezy Pebble Beach

    48 shares
    Share 19 Tweet 12
SportBeep.com

Welcome to SportBeep, your ultimate destination for all things sports! If you're passionate about the NFL, NBA, MLS, NHL, MLB, or any other sport, you're in the right place. Here, you'll find the latest news, in-depth analyses, and commentary on the most important sporting events and personalities from around the world.

Pages

  • Home
  • About Us
  • Privacy Policy
  • Contact Us

News

  • Football
  • Basketball
  • Baseball
  • Soccer
  • Hockey
  • Tennis
  • Golf

Network

  • Coolinarco.com
  • CasualSelf.com
  • Fit.CasualSelf.com
  • Sport.CasualSelf.com
  • MachinaSphere.com
  • EconomyLens.com
  • MagnifyPost.com
  • TodayAiNews.com
  • VideosArena.com

© 2024 SportBeep ~ Top Sports News from around the world!

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Football
  • Basketball
  • Soccer
  • Tennis
  • Baseball
  • Athletics
  • More
    • Golf
    • Hockey
    • Combat sports
    • Cricket
    • Figure Skating
    • Racing
    • Skiing
    • Swimming
    • Rugby

© 2024 SportBeep.com - Best Sport News